Laundry Room Make over

Have you ever changed something in your home, like curtains or paint on a wall or adding a new table and chairs, only to walk into that room time after time, admiring that change?  What a difference?  Love the changes!  That's normal, right?  Well, that's pretty much how I feel about my laundry room right now.  Every time I walk through it, my heart goes pitter pat over the changes. Laundry doesn't (ever) make my heart skip a beat or bring some weird cleaning joy and smile to my face, but this laundry ROOM make over, my friends, does brighten my countenance.



To truly appreciate my enthusiasm, take a look at what my laundry room used to look like.  I warn you, it's painful.



We were living in laundry chaos.  Everything was stacked, or rather shoved onto the only shelf in the room.  I decided to go to work.  The first step towards getting this laundry room organized was adding a shelf.  You can read about that process HERE.

 I also decided to paint the existing shelf white to set it apart from the wall color.  Big difference! 


My laundry room is a walk through room between the garage and kitchen.  When we get home, we go through the laundry room and drop off our stuff.  It was necessary  to add some real storage bins.  I looked for a while but could never find anything that worked for the room or my wallet. So I decided to make my own storage bins out of burlap and boxes.  You can read about that HERE.

 The kids each have their own box.  They drop off their swim gear in the summer and snow gear in the winter.  I even made one for our new dog where the leash and his treats are kept.  I really, really like our little system here. Really-Really!


My next  addition was making a laundry room sign out of pallet wood.  I'm not a fan of pallet DIY projects and I tell you why HERE,  but I love the way my sign turned out.  Plus, it was free- bonus!

You can read about how I made this sign HERE. 
I make my own laundry detergent, but I didn't want to throw it in just any storage container.  I found a penny jar to be my perfect detergent dispenser.


On the top shelf, my detergent ingredients fit in these other "milk" baskets I made with rope.  These are one of my favorite projects.  You can read about how to make your own HERE.

Before I decided to make over the laundry room, I  made this plastic bag dispenser out of an oatmeal canister.  It hangs in the laundry room so anyone needing to take out trash or just needing a bag, can grab and go.  Here's a quick recap.
And since I usually walk in with mail in my hand, my $1,  garage sale letter organizer helps me stay organized.

Little by little, this room came together.  Because I upcycled most of the room elements, my total cost was less than $30.  I love walking through this room now.  LOVE!
By the way, if you're wondering why in the world I put a globe in the laundry room, it's simply because I home school and it's the easiest place for us to store it while we use it daily.  Sure it's summer, but I think I'm going to keep it there for now.



Big improvement I'd say.  Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you found some inspiration for your own space.

Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:


Comments

  1. Wonderful and I love how you redid the boxes in burlap! The globe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the upcycled boxes - they turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and some wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing a great room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that sign that you made!

    Great laundry room makeover! Mine is in my garage and I'm racking my brain as what to do since it's not really a "room"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clean simple and so accessible. I love this room! Thanks for sharing.
    http://creativeramblingsblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like
    you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog.

    A great read. I'll certainly be back.

    Here is my webpage :: hultquist sale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Lisa!! My laundry is in the garage so it's always been a mess. I have an older garage all bare studs and ugly old shelves. BUT, I too have been inspired to at least organize my space better. And I've been making my own laundry soap for years, so I love the glass jar idea.

    Tina Durflinger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Love those burlap and rope boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an improvement! You're going to enjoy this space so much more now that it's organized, decorated, and fun. I love the sign (hope you don't mind if I borrow your quote)! Awesome job!
    His blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that shelf. I need to do this to my tiny little laundry room. If you get a chance, please link this up to my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunday-linky-party-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower from the Fluster Buster hop. I love these ideas. I'm working on a new home utility room right now, and will try the box idea for sure :) http://www.chronicallycontent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you on Whatever Goes Wednesday. Your re-vamped laundry room looks awesome! I like how it's mostly neutral with just a few pops of color that really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your frugal transformation..makes a big difference! And those boxes are adorable!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks great! love the two shelves and those boxes you made!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the storage bins you made! Your room is lovely...

    Julie@http://www.thevintagebarnhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love walking through that room too! Great makeover and so budget friendly -- love your burlap covered boxes. thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had a lot of great ideas to do your laundry room on a very small budget! Job well done....I love it! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job with the makeover. So cute! Blessings to you, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute! Love the change and it must be so much more fun to do laundry! (not that it's fun, but...)

    ReplyDelete
  20. bellissima, come hai sistemato per bene la lavanderia, complimenti!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very creative! Love everything, but I think the burlap and twine boxes are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your transformation! How fun to have a beautiful Laundry room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty - a nice place to do your laundry! That always helps!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  24. It turned out great! You will be one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on over and grab a feature button. Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute!! I featured you today on my blog, feel free to come over and grab a featured button in the right hand column. :) Thanks for sharing in the Ginger Jamboree!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. You are so clever! such little things that add up to a big, WOW!
    I love the box idea and the oatmeal container too....
    Isn't amazing what a shelf here and a little paint there can do?
    Kudos!
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your new laundry room looks wonderful! I love the double shelves, and, hello, I always knew there was a good use for those Costco milk boxes! I will start saving mine now :)

    Also, I work with Cassity over at Remodelaholic.com -- we host a Remodelaholics Anonymous linky party every weekend (Friday through Monday) for all types of home projects. We'd love to have you come share your laundry room and/or any of your other posts, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment