The Burlap Box

Hi there, everyone!  I am quite thrilled with the way the laundry room shelf  is coming along.  I've been needing extra shelving so I can get more ORGANIZED this year!  Unfortunately for me, we've been having some bipolar weather here.  It's hot one day, then cold and wet the next.  It makes it kind of difficult to get my "outdoor" painting projects (like my shelf) completed.  So instead, I've been working on the actual organizing boxes that will go on the above said shelf.  Here's what I came up with.


As always, I try to create solutions that require zero money.  It's the Lewisville way when it comes to these kinds of crafting and organizing projects.  I've made an organizing basket before with these milk boxes from Costco.  I love the way those turned out too.  You can read about that project HERE.





In fact, there are so many great projects out there that show these kinds of up-cycled cardboard box projects.  You can read about them from my last Tips and Tricks Tuesday post.  Good ideas, I tell you!

For this organizing "basket", "box", "bin" (not sure what to call it?) I wanted to use burlap.  So after cutting the top flaps off using a box cutter, I covered the box with a brown paper bag.  Takes me back to those jr. high days of covering my books.


Then I measured and cut my burlap.  Here's a little trick when it comes to cutting burlap.


Measure to the burlap thread where you want to cut. Snip that piece so it's loosened from the rest and start pulling it away.


It will leave you with an empty weave like this.  Now you can cut the burlap with out leaning over so close to the material just to make sure you're cutting along the right thread line.


After cutting the burlap, I wrapped the the box.


 Then I hot glued the burlap to the box. The picture below shows the bottom of the box.  For the next ones, I went ahead and covered the bottoms with burlap too. 


I didn't worry about using a lining on the inside.  I don't think anyone will see the inside once we start filling it up with stuff.


Then, I added some extra flair with a simple white sheer ribbon and jute twine from my craft box .  I have no idea if there is a "right" way to make a flower out of jute twine.  I just winged it, starting off with a simple bow then added the other loops using hot glue.  Voila!


And that my friends, is the fastest and cheapest organizing box I've ever made!


I think it's pretty though, and it's going to look great in the laundry room!

Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Comments

  1. What a fantastic project! I'm all for crafts that help get us organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! Amen to cheap organizing tricks!
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I LOVE up-cycling boxes just a little too much :). I like to use printed duct tape and mod podge book pages, as well as fabric.

    Cute post!

    Bobi
    bobijensen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bobi. I've never used the printed duct tape, but I'm starting to see it everywhere now. I'll be keeping it in mind for next time. Thanks for the idea.
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  3. Very cute---I especially love the jute flower! Thanks for sharing. I would love to have you share this at our link party!

    Melissa
    redflycreations(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. I think the jute flower is my favorite part too. And thanks for the party invite. I will come on over!
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  4. Your twine loop flower is such a beautiful and delicate touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this DIY, I'm having somewhat of an obsession over burlap lately but haven't quite set off on a project yet! This may be the one. Our readers on love2upcycle.blogspot.com would love to see this (and so many of your other projects). I hope you'll join us for a linky party going on right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute! I love how they turned out and Costco is a great place to get boxes. I organized a shelf with Costco Strawberry boxes but I did not cover them. Yours have given me inspiration to go do something cool like that to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never upcycled a box, but this is a really great idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog! I am a new follower from the blog hop. I hope you get a chance to check out my blog and follow also
    http://butterflyintheattic.blogspot.com/2013/03/upcycled-recycled-on-etsy-tang.html
    Blessings
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work! It turned out nicely. I love finding cheap ways to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a total sucker for cheap organization. Makes me wish I still had a little one in diapers, cause some of those diaper boxes would have been a-MAZ-ing for cute organization. Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts this weekend, so come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute and perfect for all that spring cleaning I am about to tackle. And great tip on cutting burlap - that stuff can be tricky! We'd love for you to link up at Living Well Spending Less' Thrifty Thursday! Hope to see you there! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job! I invite you to join my link party every weekend: Crafty Country Cottage at Old Red Barn. Hope to see you soon!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea!
    Love this Lisa!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darling, darling, darling! I love the rope one too. You cant even tell that these started as milk boxes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look like a Custom Boxes. But your handmade flower is looking much pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment