Beach Theme Bathroom Reveal

It's done!  The kid's bathroom that I started decorating several weeks ago is f-i-n-a-l-l-y finished. For those of you who are new here, I've been working on this bathroom for um....well, let's just say it's been too long.  It all started back in June with a free can of paint in the color of my choice.  Then there were a few trips to thrift stores, Michaels, Home Depot, and my garage. Little by little I worked on getting their bathroom all beach like.  So without further ado, here it is!  My first room reveal....drum roll please!

  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way it turned out!  And what do the judges think of it?  Well, my kids are thrilled with the results as well!





So what do you think? Here's a picture of what it looked like before. Warning:  this is not a nice picture.  The bathroom really was in desperate need for some attention.

See what I mean.  I cringe when I see this now.  But this is a new day, and though we live in Denver, we decided to bring a little bit of our California home with us.

The make over started with a free can of paint from Ace Hardware.  I chose a color called Venice Beach,  and it was the perfect beach blue.  All my kids liked the idea of making their shared bathroom reminiscent of their California beach days.  With 2 girls and a boy, a teen, pre-teen, and grade schooler, finding a neutral theme that they all like can be, shall we say, challenging.

 I picked up this surf board coat rack at Hobby Lobby this past summer.  It was on clearance but it looked like this before the makeover.  Cute, but not the right colors for our little room.

I also made my own original Beach sign.
.

I love the shower curtain I found at T.J. Maxx.  It really sets the mood with the stripes and colors.  I looked at (to) many shower curtain for our beach room and even brought a few home to test out.  The canvas fabric pulls this room together, and at $15 I was all over it!


 My original idea was to just add shelves above the toilet, but as things progressed, I wanted a unique and somewhat vintage beach feel. So I made beach art for just a few dollars. If you want custom wall art or framed pictures to fit your bathroom theme, you can find different styles at places like Shutterfly


 I also really, really wanted the Pottery Barn surf board shelves, but I'm kind of opposed to spending crazy amounts of money for something I can do myself.   I picked up this surf board clock at my favorite thrift store and turned it into a shelf.  LOVE IT!

I bought a basket for this bathroom, but it proved to big for the space.  I ended up using one that I've had forever.  The rolled washcloths is my way to encourage my little ones to actually use soap when they shower.  I won't mention names to protect the guilty.


 I also shopped for a spa mat at several stores, and again, I just couldn't bring myself to spend so much for something that only clean feet would be stepping on.  When I found this mat at T.J.Maxx for half the price of most, I happily obliged my decorating desire.

Then there's the other side of the room where the starfish sandal shelf holds my kids' crafts and surf camp trophy.  The shelf by the way is actually two bookends that I transformed into a beach shelf.  There's a lot of that going around here isn't there?


And there you have it- a very simple Beach bathroom makeover.


So here in Lewisville, I like to make my pennies scream.  I'm able to do that by doing most of the work myself.  The overall cost of my beach makeover was actually very little.  Here's how the cost breaks down, and you can check out how I made most of what you see here with the links below each item.

Paint- Free from a promotion weekend at ACE Hardware.  

Shower Curtain- $15 at T.J. Maxx
Surf Board towel rack-  $9 at Hobby Lobby

Beach Sign- $0. All left over materials.

Spa Mat- $13 at T.J. Maxx

3 Starfish for Beach Art- $10 at Michael's with a coupon. 
Shells for Beach Art- $1 at The Dollar Tree
Burlap for Beach Art- $3 from Hobby Lobby with a coupon

Surf Board Shelf- $4 from a thrift store

Sandal (bookend) shelf- Free; sent to me by mom!  Kisses!

Acrylic paint- $3 from Walmart

Surf Board towel rack- $10 @Hobby Lobby


 Wow! Can you believe this makeover was less than $80!  I love the results of our Beach Bathroom, and most importantly, so do the kids! Now on to the next room.  Mr. Lewisville votes for the master bedroom. I'll get there...eventually.  Hope you all found something you liked and something to inspire you for your own home.

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie

Comments

  1. Great job! I did a beach themed half bath over the summer. Don't know that I would have been as brave as you to change the paint on the surf boards (for fear I would mess them up) but they look awesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bathroom is very pretty I did mine almost the same when we moved hereonly I painted my ceiling blue ...Its amazing what you can do on a budget ....Love It !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, I love the beachy atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's adorable! You did a great job!..And you're my kind of shopper *winks* I bet all the kids love it. I just did a little bathroom remodel too. Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool. Ialso redid my bathroom with a beach theme but I used aqua blue and white for my color scheme. Can;t wait for the surf board shelf details. Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I love it! I'm planning to do a beach theme in our master bath and incorporate shells we've collected from various beach & lake adventures. :)

    Jillian
    Hi! It's Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to read about something so summery in December :). Love the blue you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the beachy theme! Very nice! Glad I found you on Or so she says link party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! Followed you over from Too Much Time, and am so impressed with your bathroom makeover. I'm working on my own, so I understand the amount of work you did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beach theme is so fun and what a major upgrade!! I especially love the mini surfboards, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa! Our half bath got a makeover last summer using ACE Hardware free paint, too! It's blue, also, but I can't remember the name! We also have some of the same artwork! Oh, yeah, I also have that same shower curtain in another bath! How funny is that! I'm a new follower and hope you could visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so good!! I heart all things beachy! Great job! Thanks for linking at Shine on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! And perfect timing - I just started prepping our little half bath for a beach makeover today. I love your ideas - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it ALL! Especially the rug and surf board shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing your beach themed bathroom at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Love it!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! You do stretch your pennies till they scream! I love all of the little projects you did but the clock shelf is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really fun! Love the colors. My favorite is the surfboard shelf! That rocks!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for sharing at the Ginger Jamboree! I actually featured you this week...come grab a button! http://www.homemadeginger.com/2012/12/ginger-jamboree-link-party-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just a great collection of bathroom design ideas that I can really use and work on my craft. I think you just gave me what I have been looking for all this time. Thanks and I hope that you can continue your amazing work on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, great ideas on how to decorate beautifully on a dime. I'm sure your children love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello I came across your beachy bathroom which looks great! I am trying to find the shower curtain you bought, do you have a link to it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment