How to make Glow Jars

I want to thank my daughters for this post.  My two girls are a little crafty, and they come up with some great ideas.  Wonder where they get that from?  This week, they wanted to bless their friend with a sweet, turning 13, birthday gift.  They made their friend these glow jars and they were a big hit at the party.  I thought it would be a fun craft for all of you to do with your kids or for your next party!  They're easy and inexpensive to make. Don't you just love those two combinations!




 First, you'll need a few jars.  I always keep jars for such an occasion.  By the way, the easiest way to take those sticky labels off is to fill the jar with water, above the label, and microwave it for about 2 minutes.  The label should peel off pretty easily.


 Here are the other things you'll need.  Glow sticks, straws, and glitter.  You can find all of those things at the Dollar store.

 Crack your glow sticks to get them glowing.  Cut off one end of the stick and allow the glow liquid to drip into your jars. 

 Cut off the other end of the glow stick and attach a straw.  Blow through the straw to push the rest of the liquid into the jar.

Add a little glitter...or a lot of glitter!  That's up to you.
I spray painted the lids for the girls.  It was the least I could do!


It's a good thing for them they have a mom that always has spray paint around.


Cover the jars with the lids and shake up the glow liquid.    It's that easy!

They will glow for a few hours, perfect for that night party.  You can also add ribbon and set a few together to light up a walkway.  It was a fun project for the girls, and I love seeing them work together.  Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Fluster Buster

Comments

  1. more fun party decor EVER!! I love this idea! I'm surprised I didn't think of this as my kids have bitten open those glow sticks, yuk! And then their face is glowing :o)
    emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So cool! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little one will love to try these jars! perfect activity for summer nights. Thank you for sharing the tutorial with us. I came to visit you via Home Stories A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, fun, fun. I love this. Thanks for the tutorial. Thanks also for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic!! I love that it's that easy. I've got lotssss of jars hanging out just waiting for a purpose. This would be really cute at halloween too - oranges and purples?

    I'd love for you to link up at our new link party - http://muchadoaboutsomethin.blogspot.com/2013/08/tell-us-tuesday-link-party-1-and.html

    xoxo Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! I saw it over at Fluster Buster. I would love for you to come share at my From the Farm Blog Hop.
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/08/from-farm-blog-hop.html
    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking around for directions for this. I would love if you would link this up on our blog @ http://thekoenigscreate.blogspot.com/2013/08/mid-week-link-up.html We have a link party going on now till Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I saw your link at Fluster Buster, and those looked so pretty I just had to come find out more. I think my little guy would get a kick out making a glow jar, we'll have to make a couple before the end of summer. I can't wait to try that trick for getting labels off. I have a few jars with stubborn labels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those were so cute. Saw your post on Cindy's blog! Great job! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. So neat! What a great idea. Visiting from Rooted in Thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I commented on you Thrifty Treasures post but again stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up your posts! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cool idea, I would have loved that when I was a kid (I may still love that now… it can be perfect for a party for adults, right?). When I was younger parents used to cut open Chem-Sticks (as we used to call them) and splatter them on Halloween costumes to make it easier to see their kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment