Changing That Yard Sale Picnic Table

Hello, hello!  I know it's been a while since I last posted a project. So sorry for those of you who look forward to seeing what's new here in Lewisville.  Simple explanation -life is BUSY!  I get to home school my kids, and I just needed some time to get myself and their upcoming school year organized. I think we're all back to normal now.

 I know so many of you LOVE before and after projects, and quite honestly, they're my favorite too!  So I have one of those projects to show you today.  Remember that picnic table I bought a few weeks ago for just $15 at a yard sale?  Well, I finally got my hands on it!

 Here are some before pictures.  The table was made from raw wood but never finished.  Plus, I'm sure it had been left out in the Denver winters (cold and snowy) in addition to the mile high summers (sunny with afternoon rain storms).  Needless to say, it had been neglected.




I don't mind big projects like this because I have a great orbital sander (also purchased at a yard sale, ironically).  I took an hour, maybe two, and sanded the table with 150 grit sandpaper.

 By the way, as a  precaution I always wear my fabulous eye goggles and that ever so beautiful white mask.  Safety first!

Just sanding the table made such a big difference,  but not as big of a difference as staining it.


I didn't want to paint this wood table.  The wood, though neglected, was still in good shape, and there's just something about a stained wood that I'm a sucker for- always! So I wanted to use a dark stain and decided to use minwax Ebony.  I've never used it before, so my excitement for a new stain was building.  Big DIY
scream here!

By the way, my Cody dog always has to be with me.  He's a big black lab, but he's also just a year old and all puppy.   Love his cute, little tongue.


I used 250 grit sandpaper on the edges to "shab" the table.  I wasn't going for a perfectly stained picnic table, and I love the shab look on dark furniture.


Finally, I protected the table and my work with Polycrylic.  I prefer polycrylic on lighter colors and polyurethane on dark colors, but my polyurethane hardened over the summer....sooooo polycrylic it is.  Both of these protect your paint and stain projects really well, so using the water based protective finish on my ebony table wasn't going to hurt a thing.  It was just my plan B and plan B works.


And here's the table with just one coat....and Cody in the picture again!  I'll be adding at least another two coats of poly over the next two days. 


A closer look at the dark, rich color.  My family Loves it and so do I!


One more time.  Here is the before.


And here's our new (old) picnic table.

Now, I really need to re-stain my deck!  Yikes!  I'll be adding some cushions to my benches and hopefully have everything ready for you to see soon.

So what do you think?  Not bad for a $15 table, right?  LOVE.

Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Fluster Buster
Posed Perfection

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Susan,
      It was a bit risky, but I love the dark stain.

      Delete
  2. What a nice table and a great price, too. Great job refinishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberlee! I just couldn't pass it up when he said $15!

      Delete
  3. That is an unbelievable before and after! Great Job! Thank you so much for linking at Fluster Buster Party, I'm co-hosting today, have a fantastic week, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizbeth, and congratulations on co-hosting! It's so much fun!

      Delete
  4. I love it! I totally thought you were going to paint it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was close to painting it, but once I saw how well the wood turned out after sanding, I went traditional. The dark stain was a stretch for me, but I love the way it turned out.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful...you do awesome work!! Keep at it, you motivate others with the projects you do. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tana,
      That's a huge compliment for me, and I'm blessed by it.

      Delete
  6. Your table turned out so nice! I'm a sucker for before and afters too. I'd love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop that went live tonight. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fantastic! Nice transformation!
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want it! I want it! We are currently on the lookout for a picnic table. And this one looks fabulous! Ha! Great makeover. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sooooo jealous! I've been looking for a cheap picnic table for our back patio for a couple of months. Once I find one...I think I might try the same thing you did. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colour choice! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table looks so beautiful, I love the black and never would have thought of that, usually people would paint everything white, love the black...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing update! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-last-weeks-top-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a nice picnic set you found! Looks great with the stain. Dropping by from Met Monday. Hope you'll come see my grandson's playroom.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome find, and what an adorable table! I love it.... Now you will have great backyard BBQ's!!!

    hugs x Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  15. So...as we speak I'm working on MY picnic table re-do...and about ready to either throw in the towel or throw the table and benches away :( Long story that I'll do a post on (whenever it's done, that is), but it's needed a TON of work. I just had to have one of those old X legs picnic table with unattached benches. Sounded like a great idea at the time, LOL. Anyway, all this to say that you've given me the courage to proceed, because your table turned out great! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it and love the new stain color. Looks fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really cool looking with the dark stain,I love it for sure! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the dark stain you used!! it looks awesome :)
    come by and visit me when you get the chance
    I'm your newest follower. :D
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is reliable and dark furniture for using..
    picnicbenches
    thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have done very nice deal at $ 15 because picnic table is looking very stylish after painting. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment