Add Art with old Picture Frames

I'm enjoying working on decorating another room.  I've put off my girls' room for a while, mainly because they can't agree on the direction.  They have, miraculously, agreed on a color.  Hallelujah!  They're going for grey and yellow.  I like it!  Hopefully they stay with it long enough for me to finish their room.  But they're tween/teen girls after all, and we know what that means.


Today is a quick and easy tip on how to transform all those old picture frames you may have around the house.  I bought this old picture frame from a yard sale for just 25 cents.  Can't go wrong with that.  I wasn't crazy about the color, but  I though it would be a good addition to the girls' room- once it was painted.  I look for frames that have a thick and intricate border.  This "chunky" frame was perfect.



First- we prime.  I use a spray primer just because it's super fast.  I like super fast!
 Next- use your favorite spray paint color.  I used heirloom white from Rust Oleum to match some of their other furniture.

Third- cut any piece of material down to size that will fit around the cardboard backing.  I had this yellow material that wasn't getting any use- until now.

 You can glue it onto the cardboard, modpodge, staple, hot glue, whatever you like.  I just tucked mine into the frame and it stayed in place just fine.

Voila!

Now we have a super easy way to achieve artistic flair to a plain old picture frame.  LOVE!


The gold frame was pretty, but the white modernizes it making it perfect for my girls' room.  They love it too!



Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Fluster Buster

Comments

  1. They can use it as a little dry erase board too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can use it as a little dry erase board too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I love the frame, wish I could find an affordable one like that. I did find one at Goodwill today which was plastic but they wanted $14.99. Sheesh. Can buy brand new frame for that. I liked the embossing on the inner frame like yours but not for that price.
    Your frame looks so pretty white with the yellow fabric in it, perfect. Can hardly wait to see your girls room when it's done, gray and yellow sounds so pretty. Hope all is well on other side of the divide. Happy summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great . . . and it was just the answer I needed to a question I've been pondering just this morning. I have a picture I want to put in a frame but it is a bit too small. Fabric will make a perfect "matting" behind my pic. Thanks for this! Blessings to you, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation! I need to do this with a bunch of frames that have seen better days.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I also like a make over of an old frame.!
    It's pretty.
    thank you,
    Ellya

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love painting frames... it's so easy and makes for some great decor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, and my mom has really gotten into photography and picture framing. And what she does that I think is awesome, is that she'll find old picture frames that are worn out and that don't look that good. She'll go and refinish them and she'll make them look amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment