Homemade Pancake Mix

First, let me just say that I have never, ever been a pancake girl.  I ate them as a kid, but something happened in college where I began an acute aversion to the breakfast favorite of most Americans.  For years, I stayed clear of them- never, ever ordering them at a restaurant and always choosing anything else besides ...pancakes!  I think I ate a gooey pancake once and that was it for me.


Fast forward to today- 19 years of marriage (woohoo), 3 kids, and the busy life that goes with being a mom and wife.  Cereal just doesn't cut it every morning, so we have things like crepes, french toast, baked oatmeal, and dare I say....pancakes.  My kids love them and on occasion, I'll even have one with them.  That's because for years we've been making our own homemade pancake mix.  You can make a whole batch in just a few minutes and having the mix stored away in your pantry is just as convenient and easy as buying anything at the store.  This recipe is so much tastier though- without all the preservative!

Here's what you'll need:

 9 cups of flour
4 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 cup baking powder
3/4 - 1 cup of sugar (we always watch how much sugar we take in so I use less)

In in a big bowl, mix all your ingredients together. That's it!  Simple, right?


Store your pancake mix in an airtight container.  I use these containers that hold all my pantry goods.


 Like everything else, I also made my own labels.  You can print blank labels HERE and just add your own font in a program like publisher.  There are also a few other pantry labels if you'd like to print them.


When you're ready to make Pancakes, just stir together 1 cup of  pancake mix, 1 egg, 1 cup of milk, and I tablespoon of oil.  For Waffles: do the above but add 2 eggs!  This makes about 8-9 pancakes or 6 waffles.


Sometimes, I'll add a teaspoon of vanilla or a pinch of cinnamon to mix.

 Easy breakfast that the kids LOVE!


 Easy breakfast that mom doesn't mind making!


 By the way, I also make my own home made syrup.  You can find the recipe HERE.  Also very simple to make.


I prefer to make my own "home made" anything.  It saves us money and it's always better than the preservatives and indistinguishable ingredients you find with most mixes.  Health and savings, people!  And taste!  To health, savings, and taste!


Have a great day, friends!
Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Currently i buy my pancKe mix, but this looks so easy. Plus I love your canisters. If you get a chance, please link this to my sunday linky (starts sat 6pm) http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely try this! Thanks for sharing!
    I’d love it if you share this on Much Ado About Monday with Huckleberry Love!

    Karla
    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/04/much-ado-about-monday-no-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pancakes are a favorite in this house! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make this. Why am I paying someone else to make the mix for me? Hmmm?Thank you for reminding me of this.

    Consider yourself hugged,
    http://simpleesue.com/frivolous-friday-bacon-corn-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look yummy...I need to find a recipe like this for Buckwheat or multi-grain pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making things myself so I know what is in it. I love the idea of making my own pancake mix! Thanks so much for sharing and I pinned it! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have shake and make pancakes most Sundays but now I will be trying this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! I love the idea of making a big batch of mix so it's easy anytime you want to make pancakes.

    Visiting from Home Sweet Home :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may have to make this, your pancakes look so perfect and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great idea to make your own mix...makes it quick and easy to make pancakes any time.
    Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always loved pancakes - especially homemade. Your labels are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of making your own mix so you know exactly what is in it! (Plus you get to store it in great containers with those really cute labels!) thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love light and fluffy pancakes - I'd love to have this on hand! Great idea and the labels are super cute too.

    I'd love for you to share this with us at Living Well Spending Less today in our Thrifty Thursday link party! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  14. The above given recipe is really very nice. It is easy and tastes good. Thanks for such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know if I did something wrong, but is a cup of milk too much? Mine were too runny to make and I ended up adding another half a cup of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Smitty, way to runny. Will try 1/2 cup milk next time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment