Re-purposed Canisters for the Pantry

Hello! Hello!  I'm excited to share today's post with you.  I've been wanting to get my hands dirty with paint lately and there are a few projects I'm working on that are "in progress".  Hopefully, you'll be seeing those soon!  This week though, I was busy out side with a little spray paint. I LOVE spray paint. I think spray paint is the fastest, cheapest, and best way to make something beautiful.  After you see today's project, I think you'll agree with me.

So if you're new here, I've been working on getting my home in order and organized.  Most of you know that I have my own little Organizing Challenge going on here in Lewisville.  I'm organizing spaces (even the hidden, messy ones) and doing it for as little money as possible. You can read about my organizing projects HERE and HERE. 

The pantry is an area I would love to "makeover".  It's not about design and decor with the pantry though.  It's about functionality and order, and I love seeing beautifully organized pantries. Is my pantry beautiful and organized?....not so much.  But it's getting there. Look at the canisters I'm using to organize this space.

Do you like them?  I paid $0 for these!  Zip, Zilch, Zero!  Now you LOVE them huh?  Want to know where they came from?  Of course you do, because like me, you like saving money while making your home a little brighter, right?  Ok, so here it is.  I made them.  Yup. These were actually many of these at one time.


 Yes, we are a little coo coo for almonds here in Lewisville.  We go through quite a few of these bad boys a month.  Even my dog loves almonds. Strange, I know, but true.  I used to throw these plastic containers away in the recycle bin when finally one day it hit me...I should keep these and use them for something.  It was a little bit of an "aha" moment for me.

Once the almonds are all gone, I clean out the canisters and take off the labels.  Those sticky labels aren't the easiest to get off, but after a few failed trys I finally found a method that works great.  I use my blow dryer to warm up the glue underneath, and the labels peel off pretty easily
.
 These containers hold 2 1/2 pounds of food, so you can see how they're perfect for storing bagged food items.  Now for the best part.  How do they go from looking like the above photo to the photo below?

 Spray paint of course.  I love the stainless steel look and there are plenty of beautiful canisters with silver tops available for purchase at Target and Walmart.  I need several canisters though and at $7-10 a piece, my money saving brain kept telling me no.  By spraypainting just the tops, I saved mucho bucks and they turned out great!  You know how much I love making my projects look just as good as anything out there I can purchase.
Here's how to get that look:

STEP 1. Primer first! Don't skip this step even though I forgot to take a picture of it. I used a regular spray primer in white from Rust-Oleum, and I only sprayed the outsides of the lid-NOT the inside.

STEP 2.  I used the basic metallic finish in silver also from Rust-Oleum.  Again, spray just on the outside of the lid-NOT the inside.

STEP 3.  This was the hardest part but you really need to wait 24 hours before you use them.  Let the paint dry completely before use.


 That's it!  Aren't they pretty.  I made the labels myself too using picmonkey and printing them on card stock paper.  If you like the labels, I'll be making them available to all my fabulous readers when I reveal the finished pantry, so you'll just have to come back again.  Muahaha.... now you know my evil plan to get you back here. 

See the difference in the pop corn canister? Different kind of almonds!
 So remember that our everyday items from the store can be transformed and re-purposed to suit so many of our needs at home.  I'm always saving jars and cans for projects just like this. 


 The pantry is on it's way.  STAY TUNED!


As always, I hope you found some inspiration here today.  May you, your family, and your homes be blessed.

Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie

Comments

  1. Love your canisters, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto!!! Lisa, YOU ARE A GENIOUS!!!

      Delete
  2. I love it! Those look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boss has been passing me her Kirkland Almod plastic containers once she is done with them. I was thinking of using them for Christmas present containers, but I like your idea better. My pantry looks wretched. They do look beautiful and I love the tags. However, my concern is the toxicity of the spray paint here. Does your pantry stink of spray paint? Do you think the paint could leach out into the food items? I wonder how successful scrapbook paper would be on the kids instead. What a great idea and tip on the label removal as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why she said very important to spray only the OUTSIDE of lids. After 24 hrs the smell is gone.

      Delete
    2. Well I wouldn't spray the inside of the lids.... Just the outside. Who cares if the inside is still red or blue, only you can see that. I'm going to try this once I get enough containers and I would not paint the inside of the lids.

      Delete
  4. Thanks everyone, and Hilary- I purposely only sprayed the outside of the lids and let it dry for 24 hours. The pantry doesn't smell like paint at all and the food on the inside never comes in contact with paint or fumes. That is certainly a concern of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying. I only just saw the reply today. I was wondering how spray paint could work out in that situation, but they look beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I am just stopping by to let you know I nominated you for the Leibster award. Swing by my
    post to see your feature. Andrea @ www.OneCreativeHousewife.com


    BTW I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Andrea! I love awards and totally honored!

      Delete
  6. What a great way to re-use!! Pinning this one for keeps ;) Found you on HOH linky party!

    -Fotini { http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com }

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I usually buy my almonds at Trader Joe's, but I might need to get some at Costco now because I love the idea of using them for canisters. I want to do something with my pantry, but the cost has prevented me...so maybe now I have the way. Thanks so much! I'm pinning this. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love love the labels! Can't wait to see the finished pantry and get the labels to make my pantry nice too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun and creative! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing idea. You are super thrifty!!! Definitely using this in my too cluttered pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! Never thought to just spray paint the lids! sheesh. lol...
    thanks for the idea!
    Diane
    http://treasuringgrace.blogspot.com/2012/11/making-whole-healing-through-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am now your newest follower! Can't wait to "borrow" your wonderful labels and classy-up my pantry!! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great! I would never have known what their first life was! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very clever - especially painting the lids! Your jars look great, love the labels!

    ReplyDelete
  15. are they plastic or glass?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these. I'll have to keep an eye out for containers to reuse. I love the labels.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costco.......Costco........Costco! You can purchase nuts, trail mix, etc. in these plastic jars. I use them for everything.

      Delete
  17. Thanks! My husband has been saving me the pickle containers. I couldn't get the label off so I painted them. They didn't look as good as yours! I will try the hair dryer next. these are nice and big and somewhat stackable. I use them to hold rice, dried beans and nuts. All that come in bags that take up tons of space.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic idea! Love it:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea. I may have to make some of these. I just got an account at Costco and we bought those same almonds!!! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh - I really thought those were the nice glass canisters in the first picture, then I scrolled down! I better pick up some of that metallic spray paint and try this with a whole bunch of containers I have been saving. Oh and I'm definitely trying that blow dryer trick next time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Had no idea you could use spray paint on plastic! That's a great way to reuse those containers!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! My hubby eats two mixed nuts from Costco each month. Now I will have two new canisters! :) Thanks for sharing at SPARK link party. I am co-hosting this month and am loving seeing all the links.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this. Hubby is a HUGE nut eater and I never think of saving the plastic containers (just the glass stuff) they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent! I am copying you immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea spraying the lids - then you can use any shape or jar and it will still look like a set. Why havent I thought of this before! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing and so simple! Love it! They turned out beautifully. :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are adorable! Good for you! I'll have to keep the blow dryer in mind, because I too have come to the realization that labels can be tricky (sticky?) to remove.....
    Love the silver lids too... :)

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay! Absolutely LOVE this idea! They look crazy real like glass! And great tip on the hair dryer! I'm your newest follower! And I would love for you to follow me back!

    www.findingjoyineverydaymoments.blogspot.com

    And I will be back to get some more great ideas! Thanks!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG Talk about Brillant! I blog over at http://www.2crafty4myskirt.blogspot.com/ Every Friday I feature a fellow crafter. I would love to feature you and this project in an upcoming Friday. If you are interested please let me know toocraftyformyskirt@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Genius! I've been wanting some new canisters. I'm need to search my house now. I'm featuring your paint project in the PoPP Spotlight. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing a lovely blog here, really appreciate it

    Collapsible Bulk Containers

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is a great project. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think I'm your newest fan. Your easy approach to organizing makes me want to get started. Thanks for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  35. what an awesome idea! i like turning something awesome out of nothing! never thought about painting those lids, smart... :)

    love, love it - now i know what to do wit those canisters!

    dropping by from diy by design, come and visit me back at:
    http://homefor4sweethome.blogspot.com/

    huggies***
    rea

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think of anything kept out of the trash as a victory. Being able to make it look great and utilize an item every day is a real win-win situation. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE these! Great idea, just pinned them :)
    -Molly
    JustALittleCreativity.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I LOVE upcycling ideas. Thanks so much for the tip about getting all the old labels off. I hate that part!

    Warmly, Michelle
    Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just ran across your blog, and WOW, these are FANTASTIC! I'm in the midst of my pantry makeover right now, and like you, have been trying to do it for little to no money. I've upcycled a few things, but this idea blows them out of the water. Well done! Oh, and thanks for the label removal tip - I SO needed that one!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi lisa, I found you on pinterest! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas!! Just wondering if the beautiful containers you created are airtight enough to keep the food (especially things like the brown sugar) soft? You have inspired me and I am now on a quest to see what other items in my home I can put to better use! Please keep the great ideas coming!!! Kind regards, kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat,
      The containers are perfectly airtight. My brown sugar does stay soft and I've never had any problems with the rest of my pantry foods. Thanks for visiting!
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  41. These containers are WAY COOL! I especially love the silver paint. I just wish we loved almonds as much as you do around here!! Hmm, i wonder if the kirkland jelly belly containers would work similarly? We'd have no trouble eating those all up! LOL. Thanks for the post!
    -Kim at Seabrook Lane

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love these :-). I have been making the apothecary jars the same way but my paint seems to want to rub off and leave my hands silver, have you had that problem? I have had to put a clear sealer on mine. I can't wait to make these!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paint does rub off after a while and I've been including a sealer as well. Using a spray gloss and that seems to help.

      Delete
  43. Wonderful idea!!! I hated sending all those nice containers to the recycle bin but I could never figure out how to repurpose them. Your idea is so neat and uniform. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. Super job.

    What did you use for the riser in the back row and where would you get them?

    Thanks, Tana B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tana. I used white plastic shelf organizers/risers from the Dollar Tree. They sell them at Walmart too but the ones from Dollar Tree were a better fit for my pantry.

      Delete
  44. Thank-you, thank-you. This idea is great for using what I am going to send to recycling anyway. Love these jars for my sewing room too, buttons, beads, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  45. thanks for sharin' the idea of the hair dryer!!! i hate that icky mess from labels.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  46. They are gorgeous! Love this and will definitely try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I LOVE IT! They look GREAT! Cant beat the price!

    Lori @ JasmineBrook

    ReplyDelete
  48. How are the labels attached? I mod-podged one but I don't really like the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used packing tape. It's clear and you can't tell there is any tape on the canister. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  49. Do you have the link for the labels? I'd love to use them! Just bought the spray paint for the lids...so excited to do this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why the Search Bar is not working. Sorry.
      Here is the link for the labels.
      http://lewisvillelove.blogspot.com/2013/02/pantry-labels-just-for-you.html

      Delete
  50. Do you have the link for the labels? I'd love to use them. I just bought the spray paint...I'm so excited to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://lewisvillelove.blogspot.com/2013/02/pantry-labels-just-for-you.html

      Delete
  51. I like your idea and so cheap. I have a pantry but I have picked up glass jars for here and there. I wish I had thought of this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Except it's powdered sugar not 'powder sugar'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment