How to clean a glass top stove

Well, I have to tell you, I never thought I'd be writing about something like this, but after weeks of struggle, I've found the need to share my failures and triumphs from Lewisville.  I've lived in several homes throughout the past few years.  Each one has had it's own unique quirks and special features.  Our last two houses however, have had something "special" that I've never worked with before; a little something that I've found challenging when it comes to maintenance and quite frankly, challenging when it comes to cooking. It is the electric stove...dadadum.  

Can you see my size 6 toesies?  hehehe
After several years of living in California, where by the way I think they have it right by using gas stoves, I was introduced to the electric stove.  First of all, cooking is not the same when using an electric stove.  Do I hear an AMEN!  Secondly, the mess that it makes is beyond anything I've experienced with a gas range.  Add to this the fact that I now live a mile above sea level and have to work with high altitude cooking challenges.  Let's just say, it's been an adventure for me when it comes to cooking on this beautiful, shiny stove.  Trust me, it usually looks more like this after a meals is produced.


Can you tell which is my favorite burner?
 Pretty gross, right?  It's pretty common for this glass top stove to look this messy after just one meal being cooked.  Is there any wonder there are so many post about cleaning the glass top stove?  These babies get Dir-Tee with a capital D!  In the last couple of weeks I think I've tried every cleaning trick ever written about these stoves.  First there was the "just use baking soda" trick.  You're supposed to sprinkle baking soda and add water to make a paste.  Let it sit for a few minutes and it will scrub off all nice and clean. LIE!


 Then there's the add "baking soda and a little bit of Dawn dish soap to a hot rag" trick. I love Dawn dish soap and I use it for everything, so I thought for sure this will work.  Again, let it sit for a few minutes and it will wipe right off.  Again, not working!


Then I decided to used Dawn dish soap with hydrogen peroxide.  It makes a great stain remover for the laundry which I posted about earlier this year, and I thought maybe, just maybe, it will break through the burned caked on food.  Nope, not a chance.


 A few weeks ago I posted about cleaning my oven with a non-toxic method.  I came up with my own recipe to clean the inside of oven and it worked beautifully.  So of course, this stuff would work on the glass top, right?  WRONG!


 Every time I tried something, I was left with the burned food rings around the burners.  These stubborn rings weren't budging.

 So, for weeks I tried every pinterest and google trick I could find.  Nothing was working until I came across this little box opener in my tool box.  Seriously, I had never seen it in my tool box before, but when I did, I immediately thought of my stove.  My mom had told me they make "scrapers" for glass top stoves, but I had never seen one before; therefore, didn't know where to even buy one.  My inexperience with this fine piece of machine is really shining through, isn't it?  I'm such a rookie!
I took my "scraper" and gently scraped the grime.  It was working ok, but I decided to add a little soapy hot water to soften the gunk while I worked.  Gunk is a word, right?

 Now it's coming off!
 A little elbow grease and some patience got my glass top all nice and clean again.  Look how pretty she looks now!

 You can actually see the letters again.
And since we're cleaning the stove, we might as well go all the way and CLEAN the stove.  Take off the knobs and make sure to clean behind there.  That little opening is perfect for all your homemade goodness to get germified.
 Next,  lets just go for it and pull the stove out so we can clean the side walls.  Build in stoves are a blessing for this reason alone.  If you can pull it out though, you're sure to find some food that's spilled over from all those delicious recipes you've been trying. 

 I use a 50/50 vinegar and water mix to clean countertops and appliances.    Works great.  I actually use it everynight to clean the glass top also, but it obviously doesn't do as good of a job.

Don't forget to vacuum the floor where the stove sits and mop it if needed.  I had lots of little scraps back here.
 And that's it.  My stove is finally clean!  To keep it that way, I'll be cleaning it every night with hot soapy water instead of vinegar and water.  Also, after something burns and spills over (it's sure to happen here in Lewisville) I know I have to clean it right away after the stove is cool enough to work on. 

By the way, I did find a stove scraper from a few places.  They're about $10 and well worth it I think.    Range Kleen 686 Range Kleen Smooth Top Range Scraper (Google Affiliate Ad)

Look at the difference again!

Now that's what I'm talking about!  Do you have a stove that needs some "love".  Hope this helps!

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie




Comments

  1. I tried all those home made recipes too and they didn't work for me either! Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love hate relationship with my glass top stove too. It's making me crazy. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun post! - thanks for doing all the 'dirty work' for us so we don't have to experiment on our own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get a cream for glass top stoves to use after you scrape the "gunk? off. Weiman makes one just for glass top stoves. Leaves the surface shiny amd smooth. I just use a single edge razor blade to remoe the gunk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used baking soda and vinegar to clean my glass top stove and it works pretty well for a homemade cleaner - sprinkle the baking soda cover with vinegar and then place paper towels over the top for a few minutes - mostly I use the commercial cleaner made for glass top stoves
    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I switched from gas to electric a few years ago and I love it and find electric cooking much CLEANER than gas.

    My trick is to scrape with a one side razor blade then spray with a product I swear by found at the Dollar Store called AWESOME. Its a grease removing cleaner and it IS awesome.

    BTW, have a child that splatters toothpaste on the mirror when brushing their teeth? That razor works wonders before cleaning the glass with cleaner.

    This was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to pick up some of that AWESOME next time I go. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  7. I use a steel wool scrubber on my glass top, with a little bit of Method brand glass cleaner, it does the trick too without scratching the surface. Of course, you can't scrub hard, but I don't usually need to.

    I always polish my glass top after I'm done cleaning with glass cleaner to make it shiny!

    Great post btw!

    Sam
    CooksAndCreates.Blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was polish for the stove. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  8. Ha Ha- I am glad I am not the only one who has struggled with this and had all the same Pinterest fails :) Thanks for the help. I too found that scraping it was the way to go!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect timing for me! I just recently bought a glass top stove and never know how to clean it without scratching it!
    I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to know if scraping it was the best method, so I clicked on your link at "A Pause on the Path." This is the best method I've discovered, but I always feel funny about scraping glass : )
    But it works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I'm cleaning mine this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same problem with my stove. I'm currently at my son's house awaiting the arrival of their second child, but when I get home I'll tackle this! Thanks for the tip. I've visting through Living Well Wednesday. My blog is designed to inspire families to connect at mealtimes--a very good reason to get the stove dirty! I'd love it if you could visit back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing these great tips with us at ‘Or so she says…’. I would love to have you back again to share even more of your great ideas. There’s a link party kicking off in the morning (every Sat. through Tues.) Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree gas is best -- and not just because a gas range is easier to clean! Thanks so much so much for linking on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I have a love/hate relationship with my glass-top stove. Can't wait to try this trick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been using a utility scraper that I stole or ahhhh borrowed from my hubbies garage, that he's never getting back! :) It works better than anything that I've already tried, even the commercial cleaners and special scrub pads. Just keep up on it once or twice a week and it will be easier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing such a Good information.If You need best cleaning services and remove all dust from home then professional cleaning services is best choice.


    home cleaning Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  18. the store bought smooth top cleaner works fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for every other excellent post. The
    place else could anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect manner of writing?

    I've a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such info.

    Stop by my homepage ... websight design

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read the instructions (I usually try to at least skim them) when I got my new stove and it recommended scraping with a razor blade after using this cream stuff that came with it. Then my d-i-l told me that bar keepers powder works just as well. I make a paste of it on the stove top, let it sit for a few minutes and then scrape off the gunk. A wipe down with a clean towel makes it look like new again. --EW

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these stoves and actually think they are the easiest things to clean since they don't have any holes for nasty food to build up in; To pick up the grease, I just use ajax with bounty paper towels soaked in hot water; I then dry the stove and if it still has stubborn burnt stuff, I polish it up and remove it using more paper towels and weiman cooktop cleaner which you can pick up at walmart for a few bucks. Weiman cooktop works well on black rubber smudges on smooth surfaces like your floor too. The stuff works best when the surface is dry. I like these tops so much, I was actually curious if someone has figured out how to make a gas flat top stove like this and somehow have it vent outward.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the great info! I'm trying to watch what I ingest as my body attempts to properly digest it, then I learn that I'm being bamboozled the whole damn time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just made cherry jam, which boiled over as soon as my back was turned. Now looking for my glass scraper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment