Teaching our kids to T.H.I.N.K. (& a free printable)

Last week, the kids and I had a serious talk.  We were having our morning devotions together and reading a lesson through the book of James.  Love that book!  The book and our lesson, challenged us to consider our words and how we use them towards each other.  The power of the tongue can lift up or tear down. It's such a small part of our physical body, yet it can do so much damage.  Why is it so easy to allow the words that come out of our mouths to be so harsh- especially to those in our own family- those we love the most?    In light of all we were learning that morning, we decided to challenge ourselves.  We decided to T.H.I.N.K before we speak a word.




My kids have the typical spats brothers and sisters engage in, but I've never found that to be "excusable" behavior.  Yes, we home school, and we're together all day, everyday, so there is bound to be some disagreements.  Our "guards" can be down at times and we speak a little to "freely" in the name of being "honest".  It may be honest, but it lacks grace and love.  The Bible tells us to speak the truth in love, so that's what we as a family are working on doing better.  So for the last week, we've implemented T.H.I.N.K.  Are our words True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, and  Kind?  It has caused  us all to consider our words and tone carefully.


Don't get me wrong.  We have a lot of great times here in Lewisville, and for the most part, my kids get along really well.  They are amazing, wonderful kids.  There are moments though,where we can all do better when it comes to our speech- a lot better. We are learning (again) to allow only those conversations that are full of grace and seasoned with salt.  The kids have never been allowed to cuss, or call each other names, laugh at someone's mistakes, or put anyone down.  They do, however, revert to the other side of the spectrum by "correcting" each other, interrupting each other, giving each other "advice" when it's not asked for, or giving "instruction" (bossy).  It's the typical sibling stuff.  Their young minds forget for a brief second that they already have mom and dad that do those jobs quite well- thank you very much.
Always neat and colorful.  That's my girl!
 I'm including myself in this T.H.I.N.K.ing lesson.  At times, I'm guilty as charged.  I know we as parents set the example for our kids, and WE are responsible for what we do and don't allow in our home.  With that in mind, I'm working on loving my kids with kindness, as in not allowing myself to loose patience and....dare I say it...yell.  As a mom, as a Christian, I need to be led by the Spirit, not by my emotions or frustrations.  I have to "practice" patience and for me, that starts with my own personal time in God's word each morning.  If I'm patient, my kids will be patient with each other.  If I'm speaking with kindness, my kids will follow.  If I'm giving words of inspiration, my kids will encourage others.  That's who I want to be.  That's who I want my kids to be.

He likes to use his own fonts and always with the cars.  He's one of a kind I tell you!
So the kids (and mom) made their own reminders about T.H.I.N.K.ing.  We each put our artist hats on and made personal reminders on what to do before we speak.  As unique as each of my kids are, so are their T.H.I.N.K. projects.  They each put their own little flair onto their papers.  Yes, I know there are spelling errors, but I'm not grading them on that.  The true test is what happens after in the next few days, weeks, months, and years.  It's not about one lesson; it's about a life lesson.
Notice the needle that threads the letters together.  So creative!
We put all the art projects right on the fridge as a continuous reminder.  I don't usually put things on the fridge because it makes things looks messy, but we're going to make an exception here in Lewisville for a while.
And if you're wondering how we're all doing with T.H.I.N.K.ing, well, we still have our moments; but  our conversations, tone, and word choices are certainly improving.  Patience with each other, especially big sisters with little brother, will always be tested, but again, T.H.I.N.K.ing has helped us.

By the way, if you would like to print out T.H.I.N.K. for your home, click HERE.  It's free and all I ask is that you  follow Lewisville Love on either Facebook, Twitter, email, or GFC.  Feel free to pin it too.  WooHoo!  My first printable for you all! 

Hope you are all inspired to T.H.I.N.K.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

Blessings,
Lisa
I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard See

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie

Comments

  1. What a wonderful post. something we all need to think about much more. You are indeed a good Mother and Christian.
    I know people that talk the good talk but that's all they do. Being a good parent and Christian is a 24/7 job. You obviously are a devoted person to being what the Lord wants you to be. I'm proud to "know" you. It's not easy to be a good person, especially now with so many problems in our world.
    I am guilty of not being the wife I should be. My husband and I are together 24/7, we don't always have money to eat, let alone eating right, we can't afford to travel or go places. It's been hard.He had a stroke two years ago and I need to remember how afraid I was that I was going to lose him. Thanks for reminding me. I've been thinking alot lately of how snappy I am to him, not speaking in a nice tone of voice to him or him to me. We do bicker too frequently lately. Usually it's because of lack of money.
    I'm so grateful that you put this post on at this time, I believe it was meant for me to see it and realize how unkind I've been and I'd better shape up, now.
    I'm going to print out the T.H.I.N.K. and keep it in several rooms so we'll be reminded. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know things can be really tough when finances are tight, and we all revert to being snappy when we feel out of control. I will certainly be praying for you.
      And something that has help us as a family when it comes to living on a tight budget is finding all the free things to do in your town (museums, walks, zoo,- everyone has a free day) and following Dave Ramsey(www.daveramsey.com). He has a good way of keeping things in perspective while living on the finances we have at the moment.
      Hope that helps.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  2. This is such a fantastic post. I will definitely be using it as a homeschool lesson next week. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! we had a situation this week, where I can see this lesson will be used. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It will be a continual lesson to go over for us here.
      blessings.

      Delete
  4. This is great! Every parent and teacher needs a poster of this posted in a prominent location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. You are right on. We homeschool as well, and it is hard to be together 24/7. I keep reminding my kids that it is our training ground for becoming more like Jesus. ;-) This was a great reminder. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, too. I try to teach my kids that sometimes you should just not say anything - they always want to correct each other. I think it takes a lot of self control. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great lesson! I love your printable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, I believe this should also include alot of adults....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great post, and one we all need to think about more. Sometimes things just fly out of my mouth without thinking! Point made and a great lesson to learn no matter what our age is! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not just for children, we could all take note!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! So great for kids, but also for everyone. I would love to have you stop by 'Or so she says...' and share some of your great ideas at the link party, going on right now (every Sat - Tues.). Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kinda crazy, I was just having a conversation with my mom and then my sister about how to get one of my kids to understand that they don't have to interject their thought for the sake of getting noticed all of the time. I'll introduce this tonight and we'll work on it. Thanks for the foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! It is something our family has said for some time. Thanks for the printable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How true!! This will be a perfect morning devotion lesson at the breakfast table this week. Thanks for sharing and offering! Be encouraged today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful (and timely!) post! It would be a wonderful devotion for a woman's group I know (and me, too!) Thanks for linking on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment