Simple Solutions to Paper Clutter

I've been irritated lately.  Do you ever get to a point where you've looked at a space for a long time and you know it's disorganized and messy, but you'll get to it...someday.   If you're like me, you can handle it for a while, but then there comes a point where not another minute can go by until you've "fixed" it.  In that moment, you will find a solution- any solution.  That was me this week.  This was my solution to a messy space.




A cereal box came to my rescue and cut the paper clutter! 

So here's the messy space that just got to me.  It's my pantry, but I use a shelf on one side to hold some home school papers and whatever materials we need in school that week.  

Yes, I have legos in my pantry.  It's a school project.  The big blue folder holds my coupons and I have a box of multiplication and division cards there....you know, the typical things you find in a home school family's pantry.  We school at the kitchen table just across the way, so the school stuff in the pantry seems quite practical to me.  It may be weird, but it's practical. 

The stack of booklets about to crumble is really what drove me crazy.  I need some organization here.  My goal is to always  find solutions without spending any money first.  I could have a lovely, organized home in no time if I was willing to spend the money, but like I always say, we choose to spend our money on other luxury items-  like food and shelter.

So I took a large size cereal box and measured away.  Hold your papers or books against the box to make sure you don't cut it to short or leave it to tall for an enclosed shelving unit like I'm using.

 Mark your box using a ruler for those straight line.  Measure 5 inches from the bottom on one side of your cereal box.  This will be your "grab" side.

 Cut along your lines.  So far very simple right.  

 I had a piece of scrap material sitting around that I hadn't used and didn't have any plans for, so I decided to use it to cover my box.  Wrapping paper and scrap book paper would work just as well.  Whatever you have on hand works best I think.


I glued it with Mod Podge of course.  Don't you just love Mod Podge?  Me too!

That was it!  I cut here and there around the edges but my material was long enough to cover the whole thing.  I added white ribbon I had on hand because I think ribbon make everything prettier.  I think it completes it, don't you?



And the space looks so much better now too.  I had this black and white lunch bag sitting empty in my pantry so I'm using that for the legos and math cards.  So much better.  I need to make a few more of these for the coupons and "other stuff".  We all have "other stuff", don't we?


So keep those big cereal boxes around. (Small boxes of cereal are to small and not wide enough to hold paper).   I've also used cereal boxes to make art here, and now they'll help me get a little more organized.  

These magazine holders can cost up to $10 each, and they're not even close to being as nice.  Reinforce them with thick cardboard on the inside to keep them around for a while.  Home made versions are always better.  You never know how your every day store products that come in "containers"/ "boxes"/ "jars" can become your next organizing tool.


Blessings,
Lisa
 I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style

No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage

Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard See

Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 

Restore Interiors
Tip 
Junkie
TDC Before and After

Comments

  1. Lisa, Everytime I read one of your posts I am amazed. Dawna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you, Dawna! So blessed by your sweet comment.

      Delete
  2. WOW! You are so smart and talented! Thanks for the idea. Love your blog! Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! So glad you're enjoying the blog. Love sharing my ideas with all of you!

      Delete
  3. I love reading your blogg! You are such an amazing lady.. Thank you so much, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Kathy! I'm really glad to hear that you're enjoying my blog and honored to have you along!
      Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Very cool Lisa! And yes, save the money for what we really need - I felt this same way last week. I couldn't take it anymore. Things definitely get done when I am in that kind of mood!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey. There just come a point when you just have to do something about the mess- even if it's as little as paper clutter. Thank goodness cereal boxes. Thanks for hosting.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  5. That looks so classy - hard to believe it used to be a cereal box!
    Have a great day!
    Rebecca
    Heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anything can be made to look elegant! At least I try to make it look that way!

      Delete
  6. clever! It looks so great covered in fabric. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The black looks so nice! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest GFC follower.

    Bobi
    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really big help to me because I save lots of magazines and i just have them stored (unorganized) in a closet. We certainly have cereal boxes and we definitely are largely concerned about the necessities, too! I homeschool my six kids and I am always trying to be more organized, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate throwing cereal boxes away, because there's alway some kind of project you can do with them! I made a marble track with one recently (http://takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com/2012/08/keep-em-busy-cereal-box-marble-track.html). I think I need to create a board on Pinterest just for things like this. Too smart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great minds think alike... I just made some and posted them too! I like that you used fabric for yours! I feel so much better now that all that clutter is hidden!

    kathryn@www.uglyducklingtransformations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea!!! I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've done this too, what a great idea, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a great idea
    for organizing
    all those stray papers

    just featured this post
    on the Stuff and Nonsense fb page

    thanks for sharing
    at Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! So honored that you mentioned this on FB.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  14. This is SO SO smart!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Redoux. Would love it if would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-15.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn and thanks for the invite! I'll be over to link up!
      Blessings,

      Delete
  16. This is a pretty idea, Lisa. I've got a box I've been holding on to for this purpose, but just haven't gotten to it yet--this helps motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea to get those booklets in order, neat and easy to find. Another way for stay papers might be an old binder. I see those at thrift shops and yard sales often for <$1. Ditto clip boards, all of which can also be transformed with Mod Podge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome idea! The space looks much more organized now. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Turned out so pretty,and so useful..great idea!..visiting from BNOTP!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea! Thanks for linking up to our Pretty Things Party. Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea, Lisa! I just commented on someone's blog who made mail organizers out of cereal boxes that I need to adapt that for magazines. I think you've already done it for me! Pinning this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love using these boxes for JUST this purpose. Isn't it funny how easy it is to completely remake the box for another use? Yours look very stylish. Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  23. great idea for a repurposed cereal box. I can always use some extra organization, especially for papers! Please consider adding this post to my Repurposed Ideas Weekly Blog hop at: http://repurposemylife.com/repurposed-ideas-weekly-6/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlo and thanks for the invite! I love blog hops and will be sure to stop by.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  24. Lisa,
    I love this idea and it looks so fabulous! I'm so making this!!!
    I am hosting my very first link party over at http://madaboutorganizing.blogspot.ca/2012/09/Inspiration-Wednesday-Link-Party.html and would rally love it if you could please share it with my readers (and any other post you'd like)!
    Thanks again,

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks great - necessity can look pretty! And we're kind of addicted to those luxuries of food and shelter at our house too! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome use of the cereal boxes! I really like the use of house materials to make storage for paper so that you don't end up with paperwork clutter all over the place. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment