10 Tips for New bloggers who want to add Blog Bling!

(I've only been blogging for 6 months, and I've enjoyed every bit of it- except the parts where I had no idea how to do something technical when it came to blog design. If you're a new blogger, I hope you'll find some answers to your questions.  This is really the second part to Blogging for 6months and what I've learned,
and it's all about the silent side of blogging- tech stuff.)

Home blogging is a great community to be in, and I love being a part of this group of women that share their resources. Everything I've learned about blog design has been because other bloggers have given such great  tutorials.  Technical blogging tips are difficult to read and write about. Here are a few of my favorite tips that have helped me with my blog. I hope you find what you're looking for- blog on!
Here's my "Get Connected bar", made with the help from these tips


Here's the Nerdy side of blogging and how I learned some technical things.
1.  If you use blogger, make sure you back up your blog.  Google "owns" your blog and some blogs have disappeared.   Back up your blog every week; once a week.  Go here to learn how to back up your blog- Funky Junk Interiors.


2.  I use picmonkey for my photo editing.  To learn about photo editing and how to make a water marks on your photos (like the iced coffee picture below), go here to It's Overflowing

 

3. I learned how to make a "Grab Button" with an html code in the box below for other people to grab and put on their blog.  You first have to store your photos on a site like Picasa or Photobucket.  I use picasa since it is also google and linked with everything on my blog.   I followed these easy steps from- Country Mama Cooks.


Here's my button.  I designed the look using Picmonkey then headed over to Country Mama Cooks for directions on the grab box.
LewisvilleLove



4.  For months, I couldn't figure out how to make a "dessert bar".  It's that bar above with facebook, pinterest, twitter, etc. To have all your connection icons in one place looks great, but how do you do it?  Something Swanky goes over every step so that even this new blogger could do it.   She has many great tutorial on how to make a navigation bar and design a new header. Visit her and follow her instructions.  She shares it all!  Thank you. Thank you. 

Here's another header I created using picmonkey.   I like having choices.

5.  And since I didn't even know how to change the color of my blog background, here's my own tip. I created a new blogger blog just to play around with all the setting without hurting Lewisville Love. Start a "new" blog that you don't intend to post or blog in at all. Go to templates and hit customize.  You can change everything.  This may sound easy, but I had a standard template for months because I didn't know how to change it and make it my own.  Be creative and experiment in the "new" blog without compromising the real deal.

6.  Link your words or link your picture?  I prefer linking pictures like the pictures on this post. If you click on any of the pictures, you'll be redirected to a new page in another window.  If you want to link a picture to an older post or another webpage,do the following.

   1. Insert your picture in blogger as usual.  
   2. In a new window, go to the web page you want to link to and copy the address/URL like www.lewisvillelove.blogspot.com. 
   3.  Go back to blogger- hit the LINK button at the top of your blogger page and paste the link into the "web address" box.  The "text to display" should be empty. (I have to hit link twice-not sure why?)
   4.  Hit ok and you're back to blogger.  Then you can click on the picture and "add caption".  If you add your caption  to the picture first and then click on "Link", it will only link your caption.  
Here the difference:
Click on the picture to be directed to this post.
OR.....

Click on this highlighted caption to be directed to the post
7.  To Link words like Lewisville Love- copy the url (web site or page) in another window,  go back to blogger and highlight your word, click on Link and your highlighted word should be displayed in your text box.  Paste the url in the web address box, (you can check the box that says open in another window- people like that), hit ok, and you're all linked up to something else. Hope these make sense.


 8.  Want to add a pinterest pin it button to each post?  This was the very first time I played around with html coding.  It was a little scary but I followed the directions to the exact T; step by step and checked and double checked each direction.  You can just google "how to add a pinterest button to your blog" and you'll get lots of information with different Pin it Button looks.  I happen to follow the directions by Marriage from scratch.  They were easy.

9.  I use LinkWithin. At the bottom of each post (like this one), you can have pictures from your blog archive appear leading readers to related post. It will say, "You might also like..." with a number of pictures from previous post.  I love this widget (that's what it's called) because I've used them several times myself while visiting other sites. It 's also super easy to add.  Follow these direction from BenDaggers. Again they're easy and they'll only take you a few minutes to do.

10.  For even more blogging tips, go here to At the Picket Fence.  They did a 3 part series which was really helpful and I'm sure they can answer any questions I didn't cover.  Thank you ladies. 

I hope you found what you're looking for.  I had so many questions when I started blogging, and there are still "things" I want to do to enhance Lewisville Love.  If you're not sure about any of the tips, leave me a comment and I'll do my best to help.  


 Blessings,
Lisa 
 I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style
No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 
Restore Interiors
Tip  Junkie

Comments

  1. Thanks for all the tips...and where to find them!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Several of your dilemas sound so VERY familiar! Thanks a million for providing the links too! The 1st thing I'm going to do is figure out how to make that dang dessert bar (I had no idea it was called that either!) I've obviously still got a lot to learn. You've done an awesome job with your blog to only have been doing it for such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great tips! Very helpful, thanks for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So helpful! Thanks so much! I will be referring to this many times as I'm new to the whole blogging game too. Your blog is so awesome, I've already learned so much from just 2 posts. I'm happy to be your newest follower! I would love it if you came over to my brand new blog and took a look around, and if you feel so inclined, follow me too!
    Stacia@ http://feathersandsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and I will be over to visit and follow!

      Delete
  5. As a new(ish) blogger myself, I really appreciate these tips! I've pinned them to my Pinterest Blogging board, so I can refer back to them often! Thank you much for thinking of us newbies!

    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet! I really hope these tips help you all out.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Very good tips and many of the same dilemmas I've been facing with my own blog. For wordpressers: there is a widget that you can install the Dessert Bar for you and also you can post social media widgets at bottom of your post so people can pin, stumble or share your posts. And if you do recipes I recommend the Easy Recipe widget- puts a recipe card right in your post. Glad to be learning with you! Kathy Penney@ Pinner Takes All

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips. I'll be back this afternoon to read it all. I can see some interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! These are great tips! Isn't it amzing how much help there is out there for anyone who wants to start or better a blog. I also took an online class with Holly Becker of Decor8 and it really helped me too. She's doing another online class in October. Also - I signed up for another great site that teaches you hust about anything you want to learn - technology-wise (Photoshop Elements, WordPress, Blogger, your DSL camera amd a lot more) at www.lynda.com. The last site is $25 per month - but you can sign up fir just one month! Very worth it.

    Thanks for posting these tips - found your post on Funky Junk. I put up my latest project there too - Creating an Heirloom.

    I followed you in the past - but I have to follow you again under my new blog name - The Colorful Bee. Hopefully you will follow me again too!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips for newbies. This would be great addition to Titus 2 Tuesdays. I hope you'll consider linking it up on Cornerstone Confessions.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips! Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are excellent tips, and your blog is lovely by the way. Another tip to add is when choosing the text to link to, use words that will help search engines rather than "click here" write click here to read "my amazing post about peanut butter".

    KM Logan lessonsfromivy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point! I didn't even think of that. Thanks for bringing that up.

      Delete
  12. Good tips and I need a link to the party added to this post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very new blogger will get inspiration and will learn more from you r posts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment