Using every bit of your Thrifty Finds!

Last week I made a welcome sign for my daughter's Luau Birthday party.  You want to see?


It started out like this.

 Yup, it was once a door to a nightstand that I bought at a yard sale a few weeks ago for $5.  This is what it originally looked like.


And I turned it into this.  You can read about the nightstand transformation HERE and see how you really can paint laminate.


 I left the bottom of door off and put in my own home made basket.  If you like the basket, you can read about how to make your own HERE for just $5.  It's one of my favorite projects and super easy.

Ok, so back to the door that wasn't used.  I didn't throw it away of course.  NO, NO, NO!  I left it in my garage until I figured out what I could use it for later????? It easily came off and when it did, I realized what a perfect sign it might become.


The hardware itself stood the door up perfectly.


I just had to sand it down using my orbital sander.

Then I used my favorite go-to DIY and Craft tool.  SPRAYPAINT! And of course, I happen to have plenty of it in my garage!

I LOVE the color.  It's called Berry Pink from Rust- Oleum.  So "Berry" pretty!

I didn't have time to stencil and paint the sign, so I cheated!  I printed out the "ALOHA" sign using the "curls" font on my computer.  I made it as large as I could and cut out the letters.

I cut the letters out individually and used Mod Podge to glue them onto the door.  Then I just used a black marker for the rest.  Super easy, super quick.


 By the way, that little flower up at the top is made of coffee filters.  I'll post all about how to make them this next week. 

This little welcome sign took me about an hour and cost me $0.  That's my kind of project! 


Have a great weekend everyone. Try to stay cool.  It's hitting 102 degrees this weekend here, and I'm already melting.

Blessings,
Lisa

I link all my projects with some wonderful blogs.  To visit them, go to the {Link Party Love} page found at the top of this page on the {Home} bar.
Also linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
Savvy Southern Style
No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Saved by Love Creations 
Miss Mustard Seed
Funky Junk Interiors
Coastal Charm 
Restore Interiors
Tip Junkie 

Comments

  1. I really love how you used something you already had. Brilliant way to make the most of your thrifty purchases. I bet your daughter was pleased. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool that the hinges could be used as a stand. I hope your daughter enjoyed it! It's really cute.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jana and Liz. She did love it and so did her guest. I think little details like this always add a special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute, Lisa! Love the colors...very LUAU! And what a transformation on the laminate piece! Wow. Would be super delighted if you could link up with us over at Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/07/mop-it-up-mondays-24.html.
    Thanks so much!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Lisa! Laminate furniture needs painted! It has such potential. Love your sign as well :o)
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! Very cute! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! Beautiful transformation! Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We loved having you and hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a smart cookie! I love how the hinges act as a stand. Thanks so much for sharing your project at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beyond cute, and I love how the hinges are the stand. I bet your daughter just loves it, I really like the berry color. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous -- very creative every step of the way! Love how you were able to make the hinges work as the stand! Thanks for linking on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! Hope to see you again soon –

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a girl after my own heart. Yeah right, ain't throwin' that door away... of course it could be used for SOMETHING!! :) Cute sign and Love how it had it's own "stand"! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment