Modernize a traditional table using paint!

I've been working on a project for a while now and I'm getting closer to getting it done.  I thought I'd show you the first part of my project, that way I'll have a little pressure incentive to get the second part done this weekend...or soon thereafter hopefully.  It's one of my bigger projects, but it's the kind I truly L-O-V-E!  Redoing furniture is my favorite kind of project.  I love finding old, outdated pieces of furniture and sprucing them up to look gorgeous.  Well, at least they look gorgeous to my family and to me.  That's what they tell me anyway.  It's gorgeous, mama! 

Today, I'll be showing you how to paint a kitchen table. This table is new to me since a family gave it to us just a few weeks ago, but it's also new in that I "changed" it a bit.  A lot a bit actually.   When it comes to designing style, I really can't tell you what my style is- modern, traditional, chic, eclectic.  I really don't know.  I just know what I want my house to look like and that usually happens like this.  I see something on pinterest or on t.v. or on a magazine and I say to myself, "I like that.  I like that a lot.  How can I get that?"  Then my brain starts turning  and thinking until it comes up with a plan on how to get "that" look....for less!  That's usually how things get done around here.  I have so many ideas swimming around in my head, but there are just so many projects I can commit time too.  A few weekends ago, I committed to this.


This is our kitchen table, and no, this picture is not from 1994. The table was generously given to us by a family who heard some of our furniture was ruined in our recent move.  We thankfully accepted their offer to give us an extra table they had.  I came home from a weekend away and found they delivered the table, along with an organic chicken (they raise them), fresh vegetable from their garden, and a huge ham that lasted us for no less than 5 meals.    Truly, they blessed us in so many ways!


Now, back to the table.  Thankful as I was, and blessed not to have to eat another meal on a t.v. tray, the table and chairs weren't my style.  The chairs are covered in blue silk material and have plastic covers over them. I think of Marie from Everybody Love's Raymond.  She would adore the plastic protectors. They also have floral grooves or markings, not exactly sure how to describe them, but sure enough the set is not my "decorative preference".  Here's an pic of one of the chairs.

There were also other little problems.  The set is very sturdy but it was also very scratched up.
So I did some research and decided to paint it- veneer and all.  To paint any table, sand it down as much as you can.  You may choose to take the veneer off first, but I try to do as few steps as I have to for my projects.  FYI- Here is a great tutorial on how to remove veneer from Shari.  Instead of veneer removing, I sanded the table and legs down using 100 grit sandpaper.  Scuff it up well, but you don't have to take off a layer.  If you have a sander, plug it in and get to it.

I did most of my work inside since it was freezing outside.
 Using my sander was not an option for me.
Next, you MUST use a high quality, stick to anything like glue type of primer.  A good primer will keep stains from setting in, and since I have kids, stains are as much of a constant as love is in my house.  Good primer- a must for Lewisville.   I always use Zinssers.

Can you tell I use this quite a bit!  The thing you need to know about Zinsser is that it sticks to just about anything.  ANYTHING people.  It cost about $20 a gallon, a little more than most primers, but so worth it. Since I use Zinsser, I skipped taking the veneer off.

I  painted the edges using a high quality brush..


For the middle of the table I used a roller first,
 then I brushed over the roller marks to smooth it out.  This method of roll then brush covers a larger amount of your surface in a shorter amount of time.  Roll then brush over.

 I didn't want brush strokes to appear on the legs, so I took the table outside on a warmer day and used a spray primer.  Zinsser makes their great primer in a spray formula also, but since the legs don't have veneer, I just sanded them down and used a basic white spray paint primer by Rust-Oleum.

The kids helped me lug this heavy table outside.  What an ordeal I tell you.  They just don't make kids as strong as they used to.  (hehe, just kidding, sweet peas!  Mama loves you!)  Please, don't look at my deck.  I know it needs to be redone too.  So many projects, so little time. 

While the table was out, I decided to go ahead and spay two coats of primer then spay the white color I chose for the table.  I used Rust-Oleum "Heirloom white" in satin for the legs.

Back inside.  Before adding the second coat of primer, I sanded down any areas that had brush strokes or just needed cleaning up. I used 100 grit paper here. 

Now add the second coat of primer with the same roll on then brush over method.


Sand and smooth again after the second coat of primer with 200 grit sandpaper.
Finally, you're ready to paint, but here's where I messed up.  I used regular latex paint for my kitchen table.  Ace Hardware's Royal paint in "Calm Beige" is a perfect match for the "Heirloom White".   The table came out beautiful and of course I used a polycrylic to seal and protect my hard work.  Polycrylic for white latex paint, polyurethane for dark or oil based paint.  Here's what it looked like when it was all done minus the leaf.  Pretty isn't it!  I like it and I'm not usually a "white table" kind of girl.  I tend to lean toward dark/black furniture.


Ok, so you want to know where I messed up, right?  Here it is.  A kitchen table gets lots of use.  Regular paint is pliable and can scratch easily.  You need to use a water based enamel alkyd paint formula. Whew, that's a mouthful!  It works like latex but gives you a hard surface.  Kate from Centsational Girl (I consider her the queen of all DIY projects and I am but a humble servant who visits her kingdom often) just did a great post on painting a kitchen table.  Listen to her, not me. 
  
The regular latex paint I used seems to be working fine, but if and when I decide to change the color, I will be sure to use enamel paint.  So this is a little curve in my DIY journey, but we've been using the table for a few weeks now and it's holding up.  Of course, I usually have a table cloth on it, but still, I like how it turned out and no scratches so far- latex paint and all!  It took me about 4 days to paint the table.  I waited for each coat of paint to dry for about a day before going to the second coat.  Totally worth the time and effort.

Part two of this little project will include the chairs!  Can't wait to show you.  I'll be busy working on them this weekend!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Blessings,
Lisa

 Linking up to these fine blogs:

Comments

  1. looks fabulous!

    hope you'll stop by my blog where i'm hosting a great giveaway:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-giveaway.html

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment